Thursday, February 16, 2006

Canterbury Tale


Saturday I traveled to Canterbury with two friends from school--H and Cassie--for a day trip. We caught an early morning train and arrived around 10:45 in the morning. Our first stop was Westgate Tower, through which we entered the main part of town.

The tower has a small museum inside, which had some interesting information (including a murder hole!). But the best part is climbing to the top and taking pictures of the cathedral. You can see one of my photos at right.

We decided food was necessary before we did anything else. As we roamed the streets, we came across a fudge shop that was offering free samples (toffee fudge--yummy!). Though we told the man working there we would be back, I don't think he believed us. Apparently he doesn't know the three of us that well. We lunched at a place nearby called Goodchilds, and after lunch we went to The Canterbury Tales.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Canterbury Tales (which should not include Lindsey or James!), it is a collection of stories written by Geoffrey Chaucer. Each tale is told by a one of the pilgrims traveling in a group from London to Canterbury to visit the shrine of Saint Thomas Becket. Five of these--the Knight's Tale, the Miller's Tale, the Wife of Bath's Tale (my personal favorite), the Nun's Priest's Tale, and the Pardoner's Tale--are told inside the attraction through various devices. It's a bit cheesy, but it was fun to hear some of the tales again. And I love that the attraction mentioned what having a gap between your two front teeth (like the Wife of Bath) used to mean. Bonus points if you know! (You can't play, Mom.)

We strolled around for a bit because I had been told parts of the cathedral would be closed until 2 pm, though unfortunately this intelligence would later prove incorrect. Finally, it was time to visit the famous Canterbury Cathedral!



[Note: I did not realize until we were just leaving the cathedral that you can buy a photo permit. Thus, I linked to a few photos I found online.]

We wandered around the cathedral, inside and out, for a couple hours. There's just so much to see and admire. The gothic style dominates the main part of the building; the vertical lines draw your eyes all the way to the ceiling. Incredible. Obviously, one of the highlights was seeing the spot where Thomas Becket was slain. He was murdered in 1170 by four knights in response to Henry VII's famous words, "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest?" (though it is doubtful the King intended Becket to be murdered). The spot is now marked by the Altar of the Sword's Point.

After spending so much time at the cathedral, we were cold and hungry. After a brief stop by the fudge shop (the man looked so surprised to see us again he gave us a fourth slice of fudge free!), we found a fitting place to have dinner--Thomas Becket pub. We ordered some warm food, filling food (fish 'n chips, stew, etc.) and just relaxed. It's amazing how exhausting sightseeing can be sometimes.

When we left the pub, it was completely dark, and the cathedral looked even more amazing. I managed to get some night shots, which I think turned out amazingly well. Example:



And thus ends my Canterbury Tale!

p.s. Here is the link to my photo set from Canterbury.

9 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we visited the cathedral in '94, you wanted to climb the pilgrim steps the way the medieval pilgrims dii: on your knees. I wouldn't let you, so did you do it this time? Great photos. . . .

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger P. K. Nail said...

Didn't a gap in the teeth used to have something to do with, errr, that thing guys like a lot?

 
At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

doesn't it mean that she was a whore? the wonderful things that i learned from your mom :)

 
At 8:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Linds

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, ooh, I remember! It means you're good in bed! (Do I get the A, Mrs. Stephens?) ;)

And how are you going to start blogging and not give me your URL, Bea Arthur? I had to get it from Lindsey! Pfft. See if I ever seriously think of having children with you again...

In all seriousness, glad to hear you're enjoying yourself. I definitely plan on keeping updated on your escapades!

Leigh
http://www.xanga.com/leftoneverett

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Pam, Linds, and Leigh get bonus points!

Mom, that's hilarious. I wish you had told me that before I went!

Leigh, I apologize! I'm glad Linds told you about it, though!

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Egad--I feel as though I'm back in AP English! Hi, everyone. . . . glad I was such an inspiration (or not).

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel, Lisa hooked us up to your blog, and it is well done, especially like your looks in the wig, but you without redhair, no way! Enjoy your commentary and will stop back every so often to catch up. Sounds like you are having a great time, London is a fun city.
Jon and Sharon Bayer

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hey Bayers! Lisa told me you might be stopping by the blog. If only they made red-headed wigs...

p.s. I hope to see you guys next time I'm in Chicago!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home